Wednesday, May 4, 2011

OPI Pirates Collection Swatches with Mermaid Nail Art!

I have some very pretty polishes to share with you all today. OPI have just come out with their latest collection promoting the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Looooove the pirates movies so I can't wait to see the latest installment. Anyway I went to David Jones to check out the new colours and couldn't help but come back with all 6 :-D


I believe there is a silver shatter polish to go with this collection but surprise surprise 1) they didn't have it and 2) they didn't know what I was talking about :-| But left to right we have 6 gorgeous cream OPIs called Planks A Lot, Sparrow Me The Drama, Steady As She Rose, Skull & Glossbones, Stranger Tides and finally, Mermaid's Tears. Now a nail post of mine wouldn't be complete without a bit of nail art so I was playing with the colours and came up with some silly looking mermaids with purple hair :-P


Oh deary me. I think this was also inspired by Futurama that was playing in the background :-P Anyway I love these colours! I originally only picked up the grey, purple and green/teal colour then came back for the rest. Seriously, I was watching scream 4 and I was thinking, dang I need those other polishes. Haha. Onto the swatches!


Planks A Lot shown above. Of course I was going to get the purple, I picked this out first. Not as dark as the Shrek collection Funky Dunkey but lovely all the same. All these swatches are 3 coats however I think you could easily wear them with two.


Sparrow Me The Drama shown above. Cheekily named after Captain Jack Sparrow of the pirates movie. I'm not sure why it's pink though. But as you can see it's a bit of a muted dusty pink. Lovely.


Steady As She Rose shown above. Pretty true to colour, it's sort of a pale muted pink maybe slightly purple but more on the pink side.


Skull & Glossbones shown above. I immediately picked this up after the purple thinking GREAT a nice light grey for my nail art, just what I'm looking for. But after taking it home and sitting it beside Stranger Tides and Mermaid's Tears I wondered if it was slightly greenish. It's not pure grey as I hoped. It kind of looks brownish now that I think about it. Either way a nice neutral shade. I think if 


Stranger Tides shown above. Named after the movie 'on stranger tides'. To me this colour is somewhere between Skull & Glossbones and Mermaid's Tears. If they were mixed together, it seems like you'd get this colour. But definitely in the green colour spectrum.


Mermaid's Tears shown above. So many colours in this collection are muted and gloomy. LOVE IT. I particularly like Mermaid's Tears and this is the colour that inspired me to to the mermaid nail art:


The base colour is Skull & Glossbones. The mermaid tail is obviously Mermaid's Tears with Planks A Lot as the hair and Sparrow Me The Drama as the bikini top! I used Essie's Topless & Barefoot as the skin colour.


Progress shot above. To demonstrate how I painted the mermaids, I started with the body then drew the tail, hair and finished with the body details. Fairly easy once you have an idea in place :-P Well I can't wait to see this movie. I have many a Johnny Depp movies in my collection and quite frankly I need my fix @_@ Hope everyone is surviving their 5 day week unless you're a QLD'er and are lucky to be only enduring 4 :-) I don't think I can make it to Friday honestly. It's so far away... Well, until next time and let me know if you like any of the colours in this collection!

7 comments:

  1. Great swatches! I do really like these colours especially Planks a Lot and Mermaids Tears, but for $20 a bottle.. I don't think they're that special, but that's just my opinion. Love your mermaids too, awesome idea to include a tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want these, but my area is so late to carry them! cute mani lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Cincly, $20 is ridiculous especially with the strength of our dollar right now. DJs were having a buy 2 get the third free if you have a DJs card. Unfortunately I just don't risk fake OPIs online so I have to fork out the cash :-P I shall be doing major OPI haulage when I visit the USA in a few months :-D

    And thanks Tara, I was a little embarrassed to post the mermaids :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naughty girl getting all six!!! LOL
    I nearly got the minis last weekend but I'm holding out until silver shatter arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Vita! I know, feeling very guilty :-S Omg I saw the minis AFTER I purchased the first 3 and realised I had 2 of the mini colours already :-|

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Mermaid's Tears and Planks a lot. They are really nice colours. The other are too pale for me :)
    Your mani is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are my two faves Cyrielle :-) You can never have too many purples I say!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...